lunes, 13 de junio de 2011

QUIKSILVER CLASICO MAZATLAN 2011














The first ever Quiksilver Clasico Mazatlan Surf and Music Festival was an amazing event and set the tone for years to come.

Congratulations:

Quiksilver Clasico Mazatlan
Brian Toth Champ

King of the grooms
Noe Mar McGonale

BEACH MUSIC FESTIVAL PROGRAM:

SHE’S A TEASE, THE DRUMS, DJ ALEJANDRO FRANCO, DJ PATO WATSON, LOS MOUSTROS, EASY STAR ALL STARS, VICE FEVER, THE WOOKIES, COMA CAMPUS, ZION ROOTS BAND, CARLITOS OJOS ROJOS, B-SIDE PLAYERS, GRAVY INDIE UNION, DJ ENRIQUE KWEN.

This is an interview to Luis Skeen

by Janet Blaser in M Magazine

Mazatleco Luis Skeen is president of the Mexican Surfing Federation, Mexico’s National Governing Body (NGB), and also founder/president of the Sinaloa State surfing Association (ASES) and the Baja California State surfing association (ASEBC). He’s been surfing since 1968 and has surfed every ocean in the world. Luis was instrumental in bringing the Quiksilver Classic event to Mazatlan.

Q: When did you get interested in surfing?

A: When I was nine years old, I saw Bud Browne’s movie “Endless Summer” and got hooked. I have been surfing ever since.

Q: Why do you like surfing? What has it brought to your life?

A: Surfing makes me feel free and happy. It’s hard to explain. That’s why they say, “Only a surfer knows the feeling”. Surfing has brought me my best friends, lots of travel and a unique life style that allows me to express myself in the face of each wave I ride.

Q: Any tips for beginners or folks wanting to learn?

A: It will always be easier to start with an instructor that can tech you the basics. After that, it’s all on your own. You will learn proportionally to the time you put in, so don’t give up! Believe me, it’s worthy it!

Q: Best surfing experience?

A: Hard to say, because every surf trip is unique and special I would like to say Indonesia and Africa have been the best experiences, with great waves, rich culture and kind people.

Q: Scariest surf experience?

A: A two wave hold down in Puerto Escondido when I was 22 years old. I almost drowned.

Q: Dream surf trip?

A: The Maldive Islands, because I have never been there and I love the Indian Ocean.

Q: Future plans for FMS and the surfing community here in Mexico?

A: We are getting the FMS inside CODEME this year (the Mexican Sports Confederation), so surfing will go mainstream and get more Government support. There is still a long way to go in a Country where everything is football and a state where baseball is a religion, but we’re bringing more quality events to Mexico and won’t stop working to develop the sport.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario